Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz
Oh the good life...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Politics and Social Media...too add more stress on everyones plate...

Politics: Have you become more engaged in politics due to exposure to social media? How do social media sites effectively (or ineffectively) communicate with potential voters? Does the design of social media political marketing differ from traditional media marketing? What makes an effective social media campaign?  


   Being in College, I am frequently introduced by politics for education being one of the most HIGHLY controversial issues that there is. So therefore, I have become much more involved with politics than ever before, not to say I am going to jump on my political party's bandwagon, but I have become a lot more aware of what is going on in this country...well as much as us citizens are allowed to know that is. 
   A big reason, well more like the only reason, I have become more politically educated because of my school, and   mainly because of social media. All the videos and articles that are posted from my fellow followers and friends are what get my attention, for like most people my age, I am not the "watch the news every night at 5" kind of young adult. So social media is where I get my information. People are not connected to the news updates as they are with Facebook and Twitter (unless they have the NY Time New News app like me:p). Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google+ and ALL the other social media sites are the new age way of showing the citizens what a politician is doing, and the only way they can comment their opinions within seconds of being posted. One YouTube video (example: KONY2012) can become a HIT over night if it sends a strong enough message. 
   Triggering your viewers and followers through media differs from the traditional way of marketing for a lot of people just don't have the time for the traditional way, of course some people do but speaking from my perspective and I am embarrassed to say, I'm not going to flip on the news or pick up a newspaper before I log onto Facebook, sorry world but this is how a majority of the world is. Triggering to the population of your campaign is most effective by doing it in a way the new age is familiar with, technology. This is a new world with different people, and it's time to move from the past and take charge of OUR future how WE are going to be effected by it. Looks like the "traditional" way of approaching politics is slowly dying out. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Mallory

    You make an interesting point about how most of what you pay attention to are articles posted by your friends or followers. I think this is the case for a lot of people. We run the risk of not seeing other information that's out there. How can we be more balanced without spending every second online trying to catch up in all the news and information available?

    Great post

    - Jon

    ReplyDelete